Warning: Undefined array key "options" in. /home/customer/www/ilpalazzobb.it/public_html/wp-content/plugins/elementor-pro/modules/theme-builder/widgets/site-logo.php online 192
Parente Palace - The Palace BB

Parente Palace

B&B the Palace occupies the main floor of Parente Palace.

If you are curious, here are some facts about the building and the family that built and lived in it.

An ancient family and among the wealthiest in Scanno, the Parente family built their fortune through herding. They were in fact owners of flocks numbering thousands of sheep and land both in the territory of Scanno and, because of the transhumance of the flocks, in the Tavoliere delle Puglie near Casal Trinità (today's Trinitapoli).

The family palace was built in the second half of the eighteenth century by amalgamating some old houses that faced the upstream side of the road leading to the Gate of the Cross. Those houses were partly demolished in order to build the entrance hall, staircase and main floor.

On the ground floor, at street level, were the cellars, storerooms and hallway, on the second floor were the kitchens and servants' rooms, and on the second floor lived the family. At the back, in the garden that overlooked the sheep-track leading to the mountains (today's Via Napoli) was the woodshed, a single-story building with large arches, demolished in the 1950s.

The vaults of the rooms on the main floor were decorated with frescoes, and the private chapel, commissioned around 1860, was decorated in stucco by masters of the Neapolitan school.

In the late 1800s Don Vincenzo Parente married Angelina Falcone of Casal Trinità; a few years earlier Sabino, Angelina's brother, had married a sister of Don Vincenzo.

During World War II, the palace was requisitioned by the Germans to be used as a military hospital.

After the war Don Vincenzo's children settled in Apulia and the palace passed to a cousin of theirs, daughter of Sabino Falcone.